Special Session at
IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC)
October 13 – 16, 2013, Manchester, UK
- Energy Efficient Systems, by Usman Wajid, produced as a result of ‘Special Session on Energy Efficient Systems’ @ IEEE SMC 2013 conference, Manchester (UK)
Proceedings of IEEE SMC conference including the track papers
With the rapid technological advancements in ICT there is an increasing concern about the rising cost of energy and the significant impact of the ICT industry as a contributor to global CO2 emissions. It is estimated that ICT consumes 7.8% of all energy produced, which is expected to grow to 10.5% by 2015. This is a financial, political, regulatory and ethical issue, which also raises significant questions about the overall environmental sustainability of ICT as its uptake increases.
To date little is known about how to incorporate CO2 emissions and energy consumption into system or application development and deployment models. This special session on Energy Efficient Systems will bring the opportunity for researchers to present the state of the art and exchange ideas about energy efficiency and reducing CO2 footprint of ICT applications, systems as well as underlying infrastructure.
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- Energy efficient application and system design
- Energy efficient application deployment strategies
- Green Computing
- Approaches to minimize energy consumption of applications and systems
- Optimization and adaptation models for energy efficiency
- Methods and techniques for quantification of energy consumption and environmental impact of applications and systems
- Methodologies and tools to support energy efficiency in large scale data centers and cloud
- Energy management in ICT infrastructure
This session will be composed of two tracks. The first track will be reserved for paper presentations. The second track will be used for discussions and brainstorming with the aim to gather opinion from participations and draw directions and potential for future research in the area of energy efficient systems.
Papers can be submitted to special session via the main conference submission system on SMC 2013 website. All papers will undergo same review process and accepted papers will be published in IEEE proceedings.
Manuscripts for a Special Session should NOT be submitted in duplication to any other regular or special sessions.
- Paper Submission:
15th April 201315 May 2013 (deadline extended)
- Author Notification:
30th June 2013
- Early Registration: 31st July 2013
- Final Submission: 31st July 2013
- Conference: 13-16 October 2013
Usman Wajid, School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester, UK
John Keane, School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester, UK
Nikolay Mehandjiev, Manchester Business School, The University of Manchester, UK
Barbara Pernici, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Biongegneria, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Cinzia Cappiello – Politecnico di Milano, Italy
David Garcia Perez – Atos, Spain
Michael Geinger – HLRS, Germany
Horacio González-Vélez – NCI Cloud Competency Centre, Ireland
Bastian Koller – HLRS, Germany
Joanna Kolodziej – Cracow University of Technology, Poland
Pierluigi Plebani – Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Michele Weiland – EPCC, UK